With multiple clients breathing down your neck, campaigns in need of constant attention, and deadlines multiplying like wildfire, marketing pros need a reliable tool to streamline their workflows, help them collaborate, and keep them organized.
That's where project management software comes in.
This article has two goals: to show you how project management software can help your agency and to help you find the right project management solution.
Let’s dive in!
Importance of project management software for your marketing agency
If you're a marketing professional, I don't have to tell you that collaboration, communication, and organization are essential for successful project management.
You need to work with team members, clients, and stakeholders to keep everyone on the same page, complete tasks on time and within budget, and make sure the quality of your work meets or exceeds expectations.
But how do you avoid the challenges of pitfalls that can derail your projects, such as miscommunication, confusion, delays, errors, scope creep, and unhappy clients? With project management software.
With features like:
- Task lists and Kanban boards
- Gantt charts and calendars
- Reporting and analytics
- Time tracking and invoicing
Project management software can help you:
- Improve team collaboration with centralized communication and file-sharing
- Introduce structure into workflows with project plans, task lists, and process automation
- Increase efficiency with features like time tracking and reminders
- Enable better resource allocation across clients and campaigns
- Help teams meet deadlines and commitments through organization and planning
- Facilitate open communication and transparency with clients
- Strategically prioritize projects
- Boost productivity by keeping everyone organized and on track
Finding the perfect project management platform can be a challenge with so many options to choose from. However, once you do find the right tool, it will greatly improve your team's organization, efficiency, and visibility.
Don't let disorganization and missed deadlines hold you back. Bring content creation, collaboration, optimization, planning and scheduling together into one tool. Start planning your content today.
Top 6 project management software for agencies
With dozens of project management software options on the market, choosing the right solution for your marketing agency can seem like an impossible task. To help you make an informed decision, we will explore the features, benefits, and drawbacks of the top software solutions.
Whether you prioritize robust task management, simple collaboration, or easy-to-use user interfaces, this comparison will get you started in the right direction. Afterward, we'll go over tips on how to match your needs to each platform's features.
Asana is a flexible project management solution designed to help teams track tasks, deadlines, and goals across multiple projects. With Asana, marketing teams can create custom workflows, collaborate via conversation threads, and gain visibility into campaign progress through dashboards, reporting, and customizable views. Asana's intuitive interface makes it easy for marketers to get up and running quickly.
- Offers a robust kanban-style interface.
- Integrates with over 200 other tools.
- Provides a wide selection of project views, including list, board, calendar, and timeline.
- Flexible and adaptable to different management methodologies and business sizes.
- Some users might find the platform overwhelming at first due to the vast number of features and settings.
- Does not have resource management tools, budgeting, and expense tracking.
- Has a steep learning curve compared to other project management tools.
- Lacks time tracking features.
Wrike is a robust project management platform for marketing teams managing complex projects and workflows. Key features include Gantt charts, workload management, customer reports, and time tracking. Wrike provides advanced functionality for resource allocation, project road mapping, and visualizing campaign timelines. The extensive feature set does come with a steeper learning curve.
- Includes automated workflows and real-time dashboards.
- Optimized for Agile workflows.
- Connects tasks, discussions, and emails to the user's project plan.
- Includes robust templates for marketing agencies
- The many features and settings can be overwhelming to some users.
- More expensive than some other project management tools.
- Financial management options like budgeting and invoicing are only available in high-end plans.
- Has a learning curve, especially for new users.
StoryChief is a valuable project management software for agencies, especially those heavily involved in content creation and distribution. Its strengths lie in content workflows, multi-channel publishing, and collaboration features.
- Organize clients in their own workspace so team members can edit, comment, and approve content.
- Publish content across various digital channels, including blogs, social media, and email.
- Plan and organize content publication dates using the content calendar and scheduling features.
- Built-in SEO tools help agencies optimize content for search engines.
- StoryChief primarily focuses on content creation and distribution. While it offers excellent content management capabilities, it may not provide the depth of project management features found in dedicated project management tools.
Basecamp is a user-friendly project management solution built to simplify collaboration and communication. The tool makes it easy for marketing teams to assign tasks, share files, track project progress, and engage with clients in one place. The intuitive interface and array of integrations with other workplace apps make Basecamp a popular choice for agencies.
- User-friendly interface and easy to use.
- Offers real-time messaging and integrated file sharing.
- Comprehensive project management tools, including task assignment and milestone tracking.
- Affordable pricing and a huge customer base.
- Offers fewer customization options than other project management tools.
- Some of the advanced features have a steeper learning curve.
- Occasional technical glitches have been reported, but customer support is responsive.
- Recent changes in pricing have impacted larger organizations.
Smartsheet is a robust work execution platform designed for collaborative work management. It provides powerful tools for planning and tracking marketing campaigns with Gantt charts, calendars, reports, and more. Smartsheet enables detailed project road mapping along with automation for smoother execution. The extensive capabilities can be overwhelming for basic needs.
- Easy to use and user-friendly interface.
- Advanced automation and collaboration features.
- A wide range of highly customizable templates.
- Monitoring and reporting capabilities.
- Limited activity log.
- More expensive than some other project management tools.
- Some users find the workflow confusing.
- Some features aren't offered without third-party Integrations.
Hive is designed specifically for marketing teams. It has tools to plan and execute campaigns, track time, manage assets, and collaborate with teammates. It enables marketers to optimize workflows with customizable templates, notifications, and Integrations with marketing-focused platforms. However, Hive is newer, with a smaller user base than some competitors.
- Comprehensive reporting and analytics.
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android.
- Customizable project boards and task management capabilities
- Automation features to streamline workflows
- May take a little more work to set up compared to an all-in-one solution.
- Features may not be as comprehensive as other project management tools.
- Can be expensive for larger teams.
- Limited support for offline use.
Which project management software is right for your marketing agency?
Why are there so many options to choose from when it comes to project management platforms? Because none of these solutions are one-size-fits-all.
For your agency, carefully consider which platform suits your unique needs and workflows. Here are important factors you should consider:
- Integrations: look for a system that seamlessly integrates with other tools you rely on, like email, design, CRM, and billing software. This saves time spent switching between platforms.
- Ease of use: Consider the learning curve involved and how intuitive the interface is for your team. Complex software can hamper user adoption.
- Features: Align features to the complexity of your projects. If you handle simple projects, a basic tool like Basecamp may be perfect. For sophisticated initiatives, robust solutions like Wrike are preferable.
- Budget: Evaluate pricing models and how costs scale with your agency's growth. Begin with essential features and add capabilities as needed.
- Accessibility: For teams on the go, choose software with mobile functionality, offline access, and communication tools to keep everyone connected.
- Scalability: As your agency grows, your project management needs to expand. Make sure the solution can scale from a few to hundreds of users seamlessly.
The right project management solution will meet your current needs and scale with your agency for future success. By enhancing coordination across different projects, your team will be able to streamline operations and ensure smoother functioning. Efficient software boosts productivity, client satisfaction, and ROI.
StoryChief eliminates the need for various tools by bringing SEO, writing, reviewing, publishing, and promotion together in one beautiful platform. Start your free plan now!