Without a doubt, high-quality video content has become a pivotal part of modern content marketing. There are video content types for every purpose, from bite-sized clips that spark interest on social media to in-depth explainer videos that delve deep into a topic or product.
Yet the key to a successful video marketing strategy is not just creating any video but rather identifying and creating the type of video content that connects with your audience and supports your brand's marketing goals.
So, in this article, I'll guide you through five popular video content types and explore how they can significantly enhance your content marketing strategy.
1. Thought leadership interview videos
Thought leadership conversations with industry leaders—not for celebrity appeal but to harness genuine expertise.
This video content type offers a blend of personal and technical insights. It allows viewers to learn from those with unique perspectives and deep industry know-how. By giving a platform for these experts to share their experiences, you can captivate your audience and ensure sustained attention and engagement.
Why are these thought leadership videos such a goldmine for content marketing?
- Brand credibility: Associating your brand with respected figures in your industry is not unlike getting an endorsement from them. It signals to your audience that you're in the know, that you're connected with skilled experts, and that you prioritize delivering quality insights they can benefit from.
- Trust: There's something inherently trustworthy about unscripted, candid conversations. They feel natural, raw, and relatable. When industry experts share their genuine thoughts, it builds a level of trust that scripted content often struggles to achieve.
- Audience reach: By featuring recognized experts, you can tap into their follower base, expanding your content's reach and potentially reaching a wider audience.
In this video interview by Forbes, we hear Mark Zuckerberg talk about the future of AI.
2. Short-form social media videos
Short-form videos are one of the most popular video content types for social media platforms. Platforms like Instagram's Reels, YouTube's Shorts, and TikTok have embraced this format. These quick and engaging clips last just a few seconds to a couple of minutes at most. They are designed to capture people's attention and deliver a message or idea in seconds.
What's the big deal with these bite-sized videos?
- Instant engagement: Online attention spans are getting shorter than ever, so these quick clips are great for delivering a short message or telling a brief story that gets people paying attention in seconds. Which also makes them ideal content for viewers to consume, engage, and share.
- Trend-driven content: Short-form videos are often driven by trends, challenges, and viral moments. For brands, this means a chance to hop on the bandwagon, showcase creativity, and stay relevant.
- Authentic connection: These platforms thrive on authenticity. It's not about high-budget productions but genuine, relatable content. Short social videos allow brands to let their hair down, showcase their personality, and connect with their audience more personally.
- Massive reach potential: The algorithms of platforms like TikTok, where you publish short-form videos, often favor content virality over account popularity. This means that even smaller brands have the chance to get their content seen by millions.
FYI: Create, collaborate, optimize, and publish creative video content. From one central content calendar. Try it free.
3. Explainer video content type
Explainer videos are concise, engaging videos that break down complex ideas, products, or services into easily understandable content.
They often use animations, dynamic transitions, and clear narratives to guide viewers through a topic, ensuring clarity and comprehension. High-quality explainer videos often act as the perfect translator, breaking down the complexities of your product or service into easily digestible, engaging messages.
They come in various video content types (2D animation, 3D animation, live action, typography, whiteboard animation, etc.) to suit different purposes and target audiences.
What’s so good about explainer videos when it comes to content marketing?
- Engaging: With their dynamic visuals and compelling narratives, these videos are designed to hook viewers from the get-go and keep them engaged long enough to say your piece. This ultimately makes viewers more likely to pay attention to your message and take action after watching.
- Boosting brand recall: The explainer formula has been optimized to maximize information retention. So, viewers watching a well-crafted explainer video are more likely to remember the brand, the product, and the critical takeaways than receiving the same data through other formats.
- Showcasing product functionality: For new products, especially tech-based ones, explainer videos can visually showcase how a product works, eliminating guesswork for potential customers.
4. FAQ video content type
FAQ videos are response compilations to the most frequently asked questions about your product, service, or industry. Instead of reading through a long text dump of questions and answers, viewers get direct, engaging responses in video format, making the information more accessible and memorable.
What makes FAQ videos powerful when it comes to content marketing?
- A better user experience: A great user experience is about more than just a well-designed website. FAQ videos enhance this experience by offering immediate solutions, ensuring users spend less time searching for answers and more time engaging with your content or products.
- Proactive customer service: Think of FAQ videos as your brand's forward defense. By addressing common questions upfront, you're not only reducing the volume of customer inquiries but also showcasing that you understand and care about your audience's concerns. It's a proactive way to serve your customers, ensuring they have all the information they need right at their fingertips.
- Building trust through transparency: There's something inherently trustworthy about a brand that openly addresses questions and concerns. By creating FAQ videos, you're sending a message: "We have nothing to hide, and we're here to help." This transparency can be instrumental in building trust and fostering a sense of reliability among potential customers.
5. User-generated videos (UGC)
User-generated video content consists of authentic clips your customers or fans create, showcasing their genuine experiences, reviews, or interactions with your product or service. Unlike polished brand advertisements, these user-generated video types are raw, unfiltered, and straight from your user base's heart.
What makes them so helpful when it comes to content marketing?
- Authenticity: Today, where customers are bombarded with polished ads and scripted testimonials daily, there's something refreshingly genuine about user-generated content. It's raw, unfiltered, and, most importantly, natural. When potential customers see actual users — not actors — talking about a product or service, it resonates on a much deeper level.
- Social proof: Think about the last time you made a purchase. Did you check the reviews? Did you seek recommendations? That's the power of peer validation. User-generated videos act as a digital form of word-of-mouth marketing. When potential customers see others like them vouching for a product, it instills a sense of trust and confidence in the brand.
- Diverse perspectives: Every user has a unique experience and story. By showcasing a variety of user-generated videos, brands can offer a multifaceted view of their product or service. This not only provides richer insights but also caters to a broader audience spectrum.
- Cost-effective: Producing high-quality videos can be expensive. But with user-generated content, you have access to a plethora of authentic videos without the hefty production costs. It's a win-win — perfect marketing content without breaking the bank.
Boost your brand with engaging video content types
Video content has undeniably cemented its place in the content marketing toolkit. But as we've explored, it's about using the right video. Each of the video content types we've discussed offers unique advantages, catering to different audience needs and stages in the buyer's journey.
As you reflect on your content marketing strategy, consider how these video formats can fit into your broader plan. Understand how each type can amplify your brand's message and foster deeper connections with your audience. You’ll be well on your way to a stellar video marketing strategy.
Tired of juggling multiple tools for content marketing? Join 5,000 marketers who manage video content, website content, social posts, webinars, podcasts, and whitepapers - all from one central content marketing calendar.