It would be very difficult to provide the SEO services that your agency does without having the right software at your fingertips. But when you have so many options available for SEO software and platforms, picking the right one can be overwhelming. And how do you ensure that all these software tools work together seamlessly?
In this blog post, we will explore a detailed compilation of essential SEO agency software vital for agencies looking to succeed in 2024.
StoryChief eliminates the need for various tools by bringing SEO, writing, reviewing, publishing, and promotion together in one beautiful platform. Start your free plan now!
25 SEO agency software tools mentioned in this article:
- Moz Pro
- Google Keyword Planner
- Google Search Console
- Google Analytics
- Majestic SEO
- SE Ranking
- SEO Site Checkup
- Agency Analytics
- PageSpeed Insights
- Google Trends
- Screaming Frog
- Bonus: Features to look for in SEO Agency Software Tools
25 SEO Agency Software Tools Top Picks
1. Ahrefs - All-Purpose SEO Tool
Ahrefs is an all-in-one SEO tool known for its robust backlink analysis, keyword research, and site audit capabilities. It helps agencies by providing comprehensive insights into a website's SEO performance, competitive landscape, and content strategies.
Besides standard SEO features like keyphrase research, site audits, and ranking tracking, it has a Content Explorer that analyzes top-performing content in your niche.
- Pros include an extensive database of backlinks, accurate keyword data, and detailed site audits.
- The keyword data can be overwhelming for beginners, making it important to have some experience in SEO to fully utilize the tool.
- Possible data discrepancies.
“Data discrepancies across different software are very annoying, especially in cases where subcontractors or clients use different software than us. For instance, if you plug the same keyword into Ahrefs and SEMRush, you're going to get different numbers for the monthly search volume, referring domains, etc.” - Chris Zacher, Growth Strategist at Intergrowth
2. SEMrush - All-Purpose SEO Tool
SEMrush is an effective SEO tool designed for agencies seeking to enhance the online presence of their client projects. It provides a range of features including keyword research, backlink analysis, and competitive intelligence. With SEMrush, agencies can keep a close eye on their competitors, identify areas for growth, and monitor keyword performance.
- By utilizing this tool, agencies are able to conduct thorough keyword research and optimize client content in order to achieve higher search engine rankings and drive more organic traffic.
- Local SEO tool allows you to track Google Maps listings and create citations automatically across many local directories globally.
- Having prior experience in SEO is crucial for beginners to effectively utilize the keyword data tool, as it can be overwhelming without any background knowledge.
- Possible data discrepancies.
3. Moz - All-Purpose SEO Tool
Moz Pro is a versatile SEO suite offering keyword research, site auditing, rank tracking, and link analysis. Agencies benefit from its easy-to-understand metrics and actionable recommendations for improving SEO.
- Moz Pro offers a user-friendly interface with a wide range of SEO metrics and tools, making it easy for agencies to track and improve their SEO efforts.
- The keyword ranking accuracy is not always as precise as some other tools, which can lead to occasional discrepancies in reporting.
4. Mangools - All-Purpose SEO Tool
Mangools has a ton of great features for SEO specialists, like keyword research, SERP analysis, rank tracking, and SEO domain analysis. It's budget-friendly and user-friendly, making it ideal for smaller agencies.
- Mangools offers a suite of SEO tools at an affordable price, making it an excellent choice for small to mid-sized agencies with limited budgets.
- The data depth and granularity in Mangools may not match that of some more premium tools, limiting its suitability for in-depth SEO research.
5. StoryChief - Content & SEO Optimization Tool
Sick of disjointed workflows for content creation, collaboration and promotion? StoryChief is the all-in-one solution your agency needs.
Your team can produce more content in less time while boosting ROI. It makes every stage of the content process more efficient.
StoryChief includes an excellent built-in SEO tool. Simply specify your main keyword for each piece, and you'll receive helpful suggestions on:
- Related or missing high-potential keywords to include
- Keyphrase usage in titles and subheadings
- Keyphrase distribution and density
- Meta description length
- Any missing image alt attributes
- Number of links
- StoryChief streamlines content collaboration and distribution, facilitating content marketing efforts for agencies and helping improve content SEO.
- Smooth onboarding, has a free demo and a free trial.
- Its main emphasis is on optimizing content, so it may not provide as thorough SEO analysis as specialized SEO research tools. But it plays well together with other SEO tools.
“We used StoryChief at our B2B SaaS software where we grew from 0 employees to then 30 employees and we loved it. Now we keep using it at our digital marketing agency to work together with our clients, it really does a lot of great work for us that we had to do manually before.” - StoryChief review by MagicSpace, an SEO Agency
Ready to ignite your team's productivity and boost content performance?
It's time to put StoryChief to work for your agency.
6. Contently - Content & SEO Optimization Tool
Contently offers a platform for content creation and management, making it easier for agencies to produce high-quality content for their clients.
- Contently provides access to a network of professional content creators, helping agencies maintain a high content quality level for SEO purposes.
- One limitation is that it primarily focuses on content creation, not SEO optimization. For agencies seeking a comprehensive content and SEO optimization solution, we recommend considering additional tools or services specialized in search engine optimization.
7. Yoast SEO - Content & SEO Optimization Tool
If you’re an agency using WordPress and looking for SEO content tools, Yoast can be a great addition to your tool stack.
Yoast is a plugin specifically designed for WordPress websites that offers additional SEO optimization features not typically found in the platform. It serves as a valuable tool for writers, assisting them in optimizing their content for readability and providing more comprehensive SEO analysis. Yoast also offers suggestions on how to enhance the SEO of posts, including recommendations for internal linking and meta description length.
- Yoast is a popular SEO plugin for WordPress that offers actionable on-page SEO recommendations and optimization tools.
- Its scope is limited to on-page SEO, and it may not provide the same level of comprehensive insights as standalone SEO tools.
8. Surfer SEO - On-page SEO
Surfer stands out from other SEO tools as it goes beyond research and tracking. It offers features specifically designed to assist writers in effectively targeting keyphrases. By providing content audits and insights into the current SERP rankings for a particular key phrase, Surfer empowers writers to optimize their content for SEO success. This includes understanding the ideal content type, length, and backlinks needed to reach the top of the rankings.
- Surfer offers in-depth on-page optimization recommendations based on detailed analysis of top-ranking pages, aiding agencies in creating SEO-friendly content.
- It can be resource-intensive and time-consuming to perform the required analysis, which may not be suitable for agencies with tight schedules.
9. UberSuggest - Keyword Research Tools
Ubersuggest is a free SEO tool created by Neil Patel Digital. While the tool launched with just keyphrase research, it now includes SERP analysis and site audits.
- UberSuggest is a user-friendly tool that provides a wide range of SEO data and keyword suggestions, making it suitable for agencies of all levels.
- Some might find its data depth less extensive and of less quality compared to premium agency SEO tools.
10. Google Keyword Planner - Keyword Research Tool
Google Keyword Planner is a go-to tool for agencies looking to identify relevant keywords for client campaigns, especially those involving Google Ads.
- Google Keyword Planner offers access to the largest search engine's data, providing accurate search volume and keyword suggestions.
- However, it's worth noting that the tool primarily caters to paid advertising keywords, which can be a limitation for agencies focused on organic search optimization. It also lacks advanced competitive analysis features, making it less suitable for in-depth competitor research.
11. SpyFu - Competitor Keyword Research Tool
SpyFu excels at providing comprehensive insights into your competitors' keyword strategies. It allows agencies to discover the keywords their rivals are targeting, giving them a blueprint to tailor their own SEO efforts effectively.
- SpyFu provides comprehensive competitive analysis, including competitor keywords and ad strategies, helping agencies identify opportunities.
- The tool primarily focuses on paid advertising data, and its SEO insights may not be as detailed as dedicated SEO tools.
12. Google Search Console - SEO Analytics Tool
Google Search Console is an indispensable free tool for agencies seeking insights into a website's performance on Google's search results. It provides valuable data on clicks, impressions, and crawl issues.
- Google Search Console offers real-time data on how Googlebot crawls and indexes a website, aiding in optimizing site performance.
- It lacks detailed competitor analysis and keyword research features, limiting its scope to your own website.
13. Google Analytics - SEO and Website Analytics Tool
Google Analytics is the ideal tool for website analysis. Agencies highly appreciate this data platform due to its capability to monitor website traffic and user behavior.
- Google Analytics provides detailed insights into website traffic and user behavior, helping agencies make data-driven SEO decisions.
- It may not offer as granular SEO-specific data as specialized SEO tools, making it more of a general analytics tool.
14. MarketMuse - Competitor Analysis
MarketMuse is an invaluable tool for agencies engaged in competitive analysis and content optimization.
- MarketMuse uses AI to provide content optimization recommendations based on in-depth topic analysis, enhancing content SEO.
- It can be relatively expensive compared to other content optimization tools, which might not suit all agency budgets.
15. SimilarWeb - Competitor Analysis
SimilarWeb offers actionable insights into competitors' traffic sources and audience demographics. It's useful for gaining market intelligence and staying ahead in the digital landscape.
- SimilarWeb offers competitor analysis and benchmarking, providing insights into competitors' traffic sources and audience behavior.
- Its accuracy may vary depending on the website's traffic volume and industry, leading to potential discrepancies in data.
16. BuzzSumo - Link Building Tool
BuzzSumo is a valuable asset for agencies engaged in link-building and content promotion. It assists in identifying popular website content and influential figures in a specific niche.
- BuzzSumo helps agencies identify trending topics and content that resonates with the audience, aiding content marketing efforts.
- It primarily focuses on content discovery and social sharing data, lacking some in-depth SEO analysis features.
17. Majestic SEO - Backlink & Link Building Tool
Majestic SEO boasts one of the most extensive backlink databases in the industry. It allows agencies to delve deep into a website's backlink profile, uncovering valuable insights into its link-building strategy and overall SEO health.
- Majestic SEO offers comprehensive backlink analysis and historical data, assisting agencies in evaluating link-building strategies.
- Majestic's competitive analysis tools allow agencies to dissect the link profiles of competitors, uncovering opportunities to strengthen their own backlink strategy.
- While Majestic SEO excels in backlink analysis, it falls short in terms of comprehensive keyword research. Some users have also noted that Majestic's content gap analysis capabilities are not as robust as those offered by dedicated content research tools.
18. SE Ranking - Rank Tracking Software
SE Ranking is a reliable rank-tracking software tailored to help agencies monitor keyword rankings and conduct competitive analysis.
- SE Ranking provides a suite of SEO tools, including rank tracking, site audit, and competitor analysis, offering a comprehensive SEO solution.
- However, it may lack some of the advanced features found in more expensive tools, which might be a limitation for agencies with highly specialized needs.
19. AccuRanker - Keyword Rank Tracker
AccuRanker allows agencies and SEO experts to monitor their client's keyword performance in comparison to competitors, helping to devise a more effective SEO strategy.
- Agencies can tailor their reports to meet specific client needs. With easy-to-understand visuals and customizable branding options, delivering comprehensive insights has never been easier.
- Its feature set is relatively focused on rank tracking, and it may not offer as many additional SEO analysis tools as some other platforms.
20. SEO Site Checkup - Website Audit
SEO Site Checkup provides in-depth website audits, identifying a wide range of issues, from technical SEO to on-page optimizations. Not only does it highlight problems, but it also offers practical recommendations to address them, making it a valuable educational tool for agencies and their clients.
- SEO Site Checkup offers a quick and easy website audit, identifying on-page SEO issues and providing actionable recommendations.
- Its depth of analysis may not match more comprehensive SEO audit tools, making it better for basic site checks.
21. AgencyAnalytics - Automated client reporting Tool
AgencyAnalytics simplifies reporting with user-friendly dashboards and customizable templates. Beyond SEO, this tool allows agencies to integrate data from various marketing channels, offering a holistic view of digital marketing efforts.
- Agencies can set up automated reporting, saving time and resources while ensuring clients receive regular updates on their campaigns.
- AgencyAnalytics is a comprehensive reporting tool, but it may not offer the same level of depth and specificity for SEO-focused tasks compared to specialized SEO tools.
22. PageSpeed Insights by Google - Website performance
PageSpeed Insights by Google is a free tool to test and monitor website performance. It provides valuable insights and recommendations to optimize your website's speed and user experience. With its comprehensive analysis, you can identify areas for improvement and make the necessary changes to enhance your website's performance.
- Provides real-time data on page performance directly from Google, offering reliable insights into website speed and user experience.
- It often provides an extensive list of recommendations, which can be overwhelming for beginners and may require technical expertise to implement.
23. Google Trends - Trending topics
Google Trends is a tool that allows you to explore the popularity of search queries over time. It provides valuable insights into what topics are currently trending and can help you identify emerging trends in your industry.
- Offers a wealth of data to analyze trends and query popularity across different regions, making it a valuable tool for content strategy.
- Google Trends provides relative popularity data but lacks specific search volume metrics and competition levels, making it less suitable for comprehensive keyword research.
24. Screaming Frog - Technical SEO
Screaming Frog is a technical SEO tool that crawls websites to provide detailed reports on issues like broken links, duplicate content, and site structure, assisting in optimizing a website's technical aspects.
- Highly regarded as a versatile technical SEO tool, Screaming Frog provides detailed reports on site structure, broken links, and duplicate content, making it an indispensable tool for thorough website optimization.
- Screaming Frog provides extensive technical data, and interpreting and acting upon all the information can be overwhelming without a solid understanding of technical SEO.
25. SEOMonitor - SEO forecasting
SEOMonitor is an SEO tool known for its forecasting capabilities, allowing agencies to predict SEO performance and demonstrate potential value to clients, particularly useful in proposal presentations.
- Noted for its forecasting functionality, SEOMonitor enables agencies to project SEO performance and demonstrate potential value to clients, making it an excellent tool for proposal presentations.
- Like any SEO tool, SEOMonitor may have a learning curve, and agencies may need to invest time and resources in training their teams to use it effectively.
Features to look for in SEO Agency Software Tools
According to Search Engine Journal, SEOs dedicate the most time to technical SEO, keyword research, and SEO strategy/planning. That’s why it’s crucial to give priority to agency SEO software tools that provide the following key features:
- Assessing competitors' strategies
- Technical SEO
- Conducting keyword research
- Optimizing on-page SEO
- Developing an effective SEO strategy and planning
- Analyzing backlinks
1. Competitor analysis
By gaining an understanding of your competitors' strategies and actions, you can uncover ways to set yourself apart and gain a competitive edge. Analyzing your competitors allows you to identify valuable keyword opportunities, fill content gaps, explore potential link-building prospects, and learn from both their successes and failures.
“A reliable competitor analysis feature is one thing we always consider when choosing SEO tools. We need tools that provide in-depth insights into their online activities, such as their content strategy, keywords they're targeting, and the effectiveness of their ad campaigns.” - Normand Chevrette, President & CEO at CME Corp
2. Technical SEO
Agencies need to identify and fix technical issues on their clients' websites to improve search engine visibility. This includes addressing issues like site speed, mobile-friendliness, sitemap optimization, and ensuring proper URL structures. A good technical SEO tool helps agencies diagnose these issues and track improvements over time, enhancing the overall SEO performance of their clients' websites.
3. Keyword research
To create successful client strategies, agencies need to identify high-value keywords that align with their clients' goals. A robust keyword research tool can help agencies uncover valuable keywords, assess their competition, and track changes in keyword trends. This information is vital for content creation, on-page optimization, and overall SEO strategy development.
4. On-page optimization
Effective on-page optimization is crucial for agencies to help their clients' websites rank higher in search results. An SEO tool that assists with on-page analysis can provide recommendations for optimizing specific pages, ensuring that the content is relevant and appealing to both search engines and human readers.
5. SEO Strategy & Planning
Agencies must have a clear roadmap for their clients' SEO campaigns. A tool that supports strategy and planning allows agencies to set realistic expectations, allocate resources effectively, and measure the success of their efforts. It can also help in competitor analysis and identifying opportunities to stay ahead in the ever-evolving SEO landscape.
6. Backlink analysis
Backlink analysis is a critical aspect of SEO for agencies. Backlinks are links from other websites that point to your client's website. They play a significant role in search engine rankings and can greatly impact organic traffic and visibility.
By using backlink analysis tools, agencies can:
- Identify and analyze the quality of backlinks.
- Evaluate the link profile of competitors to uncover potential opportunities.
- Monitor the growth and acquisition of new backlinks over time.
- Identify toxic or spammy backlinks that may be harming their clients' SEO.
- Discover authoritative websites in their clients' niche for potential outreach.
🚀 Wrapping up: SEO Agency Software Tools
In conclusion, using the right SEO agency software is crucial for driving growth and success in today's competitive digital landscape. From all-purpose agency SEO tools to keyword research tools, content creation software to link-building tools - each tool plays a vital role in enhancing your client’s online presence and attracting organic traffic.
If you want to optimize your content for SEO while killing it at content promotion, then you need to try StoryChief. Bring SEO, writing, review, publishing, and promotion together in one beautiful platform. Start your free plan now!
Want to know more about essential agency tools? Check out these articles in our series: