Programmatic SEO is a SEO strategy that uses unique content from your business to create a lot of content targeting multiple keywords at scale. But what exactly is it, and how can it benefit your business?
In this guide, we'll cover:
- What is programmatic SEO and how does it work?
- Real-world examples of companies using programmatic SEO successfully
- The benefits it offers, like scalability, cost savings, and faster results
- Step-by-step instructions to get started with basic programmatic SEO
Whether you're a content marketer interested in SEO, a SEO agency looking to scale content for your clients or a startup founder looking to get more leads, programmatic SEO presents an opportunity to boost your search ranking for more keywords and get more organic traffic naturally with content.
What is Programmatic SEO?
Programmatic SEO is all about automating content to handle a large number of target keywords. The purpose of programmatic seo is simple: it's a way to scale your SEO content without spending a lot of time and money and to show up in more search results on Google.
Programmatic SEO works by using programming and automation to generate pages on your website in bulk. Either by displaying a set of structured data or by preparing content in a way that uses a set of templates with content being filled in automatically.
- Google Sheets: This free tool by Google can be used to collect data from various sources, such as Google Analytics, Google Search Console, and Google Trends.
- StoryChief: Write content up to 5x faster with our AI Content Generator.
- Next.js: This React framework can be used to create dynamic web pages that target specific keywords and geolocations.
- Wordpress: You can use WP plugins to create dynamic pages, like Peliqan did.
- OGimage.org: Create automatic Open Graph images for your web pages, improving their appearance on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Slack and more.
- Search Console API: A website indexing tool can be used to get your web pages indexed on Google faster, improving their visibility in search engine results.
- SEMrush: Check keyword ideas in bulk and analyze competitors with this simple SEO tool.
- ScreamingFrog: Once you have these pages, you can use this tool to crawl them and check for errors and set up internal linking for each page to create internal links.
You’ll need to try out some of these tools for yourself, they can help in various steps of your programmatic SEO strategy.
Some key steps in implementing a programmatic SEO strategy include:
- Keyword research: Identify the focus keyword and long-tail keywords and user search intent to focus on. This should ideally align with your content.
- Content planning: Develop a content plan that addresses user needs and aligns with search engine algorithms.
- Data collection: Gather data from various sources, such as Google Sheets, to create dynamic content for your web pages.
- Template creation: Design templates that can be used to generate thousands of pages programmatically, targeting specific keywords and locations.
- Automation: Utilize programmatic SEO tools to automate the process of creating and optimizing web pages, saving time and resources.
- Index All Pages: Submit your sitemap to Google Search Console and use a website indexing tool to get them indexed on Google faster.
By following these steps, you can get started with implementing a programmatic SEO strategy that drives organic traffic and scales your online presence. But you’ll need to do some thinking and plan out content ahead. It’s even better to get good inspiration for a strategy, here are some examples that can help you think of a SEO content plan for programmatic SEO:
Real-World Programmatic SEO Examples
Here are real-world examples of programmatic SEO in action. We will explain how each case study used programmatic SEO to create thousands of pages for each business.
MagicBuddy - Programmatic SEO with AI examples
MagicBuddy’s website has dynamically generated pages when the user clicks on a ChatGPT example they like. They use geolocation to also show fun facts about the user’s current city or country, making it feel like a super personalized website.
/ai/:topic: For example What is ChatGPT or ChatGPT in Russian.
- Each page will have an unique title, description and a full AI conversation as example.
- The chain continues with 3 examples, that are only generated if the user clicks on them.
WorkbookPDF - Programmatic SEO SaaS landing page example
WorkbookPDF is a website that offers AI-generated language workbooks for language learners, each workbook is a PDF file that is personalized to each student depending on their level and topic they are interested in.
WorkbookPDF created hundreds of dynamic pages for each language, level and topic. A great programmatic SEO strategy and page template that really works to rank better on Google for long-tail keywords that users are searching for.
/:language/level/:level: For example Korean workbooks for grade 11 or German workbooks for beginners.
/:language/topic/:topic: For example Korean workbooks about animals or French workbooks about wine.
GradientPage - Programmatic SEO for colors
GradientPage, a great programmatic SEO case study, offers gradient wallpapers for designers. To launch their SEO efforts and be found by designers, developers and indie hackers, they created free tools to generate CSS gradients and UI gradients.
They created 500+ pages of CSS UI gradients that designers can use in their projects. Each gradient links to a color and a hex code, offering millions of potential pages.
/css/ui-gradients/:color: For example after-the-rain or instagram.
/hex/:code: For example yellow orange (#FFA647) or spring green (#00FF7F)
OG Image Gallery - Programmatic SEO directory
OGimage.org displays hundreds of OG images as examples for inspiration. The website offers templates and an automated OG image generation service for websites and blogs. And showing examples is a great way to show the value of open graph images.
Users can submit OG images as an example, and the website will create a category and post for each. This way, users searching for better images for their social media or meta tags can see examples that are specific to their use case.
/inspiration/post/:domain:For example, StoryChief.io’s OG image.
/inspiration/category/:slug: For example, in the SaaS category.
Peliqan - Programmatic SEO example with Wordpress
Peliqan, a data warehouse SaaS for enterprise, has created thousands of connector pages for each integration that they have. They are using Wordpress with dynamic fields and images that are replaced for each specific page or connection.
This is a great way to target specific keywords that startups are searching for like a “Hubspot analytics to Excel” or “Export Xero data” that are hyper-specific for the pains that users might have.
/connector/:platform: Integration pages like Salesforce or Postgres.
/connector/:from/:to: Connectors with two platforms like Postgres & Zendesk.
The challenge is to get all of these 1000+ pages indexed, but a website indexing tool can help.
Popular Programmatic SEO Examples
Let's take a look at some real-world examples of successful programmatic SEO implementations by other startups and businesses that work well.
- Nomad List: Ever wondered where the best places to live and work remotely are? Nomad List has the answer for digital nomads! This platform uses programmatic SEO to create and optimize thousands of pages, each targeting specific keywords and user search intents. The result? A treasure trove of data on over 2,000 cities worldwide!
- TripAdvisor: TripAdvisor is a travel enthusiast's best friend. Using programmatic SEO, the platform generates thousands of pages targeting various travel-related keywords. This strategy helps TripAdvisor rank well on Google and attract millions of visitors from organic search.
- Yelp: Looking for the best restaurants? Yelp has got you covered! Yelp uses programmatic SEO to create pages for all business searches, helping the website reach its target audience and rank well on search engines.
- Zapier: Zapier is the ultimate online automation tool that connects various applications and services. The platform uses user-generated content to create pages for almost all "integration" keywords, making it easier for users to find and set up integrations between different tools.
- UserPilot: UserPilot, a user onboarding software, has built a database of tools in their industry and generated a variety of articles using programmatic SEO. This approach has allowed the company to scale its content creation and target long-tail keywords effectively.
These examples showcase the power of programmatic SEO in driving organic traffic and scaling online presence. By leveraging automation and data, businesses can create and optimize a large number of web pages targeting specific keywords and user intents, ultimately boosting their online visibility and revenue.
What are the benefits of programmatic SEO?
You might be thinking if it’s worth it to implement programmatic SEO? In our experience, it can be a key SEO and content strategy that really pays dividends in the long run. You can link to a specific page when sharing your content on social media and you always have a good page to refer to when talking to customers during sales.
So it’s not only about creating content purely for SEO, it can help you get more leads and sales throughout the entire marketing funnel, this is why content marketing is so important for businesses to implement and to focus on.
But SEO pages at scale can have even more benefits than simple one-by-one content can offer. Some of the programmatic SEO benefits are:
- Scale: You can cover a lot of keywords and create a massive topical cluster for your website.
- Cheap: You can create 100x up to 1000x more content with just a few simple templates.
- Happy users: As seen in the examples above, the content can be helpful to users, as it can cover their exact specific search intent and give people what they’re looking for.
You need to be careful to avoid creating low-quality, duplicate pages or spammy content. Thin pages or useless pages will not rank anyway and will cause your website to be penalized or just not show up on Google at all.
It’s not super easy to do programmatic seo, but it can be worth it. It’s important to focus on creating high-quality, relevant content that addresses user needs and aligns with search intent. You’ll also need to get backlinks to your pages to increase your website’s authority.
Programmatic SEO Course
There are various resources available to learn programmatic SEO, including online courses, blogs, and tutorials. Some of the best courses and resources to learn programmatic SEO are:
- No-Code Programmatic SEO Course: This online course teaches programmatic SEO using Octoparse, Airtable, and Webflow.
- Learn Programmatic SEO by Preetam Nath: This course offers a methodical approach to finding keywords, understanding user intent, and creating hundreds of landing pages.
- Free Programmatic SEO Course by PageFactory: This course covers the basics of keyword research, building pages in Shopify and WordPress, and provides access to curated videos.
- Practical Programmatic by Ian Nuttall: This course has around 3 hours of recorded videos explaining how to research keywords, find and clean data, create pages, and get everything indexed.
Programmatic SEO stands as a powerful tool in the modern SEO toolkit. Leveraging automation and data, it offers a cost-effective way to manage SEO strategies at a large scale. The role of programmatic SEO is set to become even more vital, promising an avenue of growth and scalability for businesses globally.
Pretty simple, right?
Adding more content can improve your site's online visibility and is a key SEO strategy that if done right, can cause you to get more leads and sales for your business.
Want to learn more about how content marketing and how writing high quality blog posts + more SEO content + social media posts can help? Continue reading our guides:
- What Is Content Marketing?
- Website Authority: What It Is and Why It Matters for SEO
- How to Get Google to Index Your Blog Posts in Hours (Not Weeks)
- ChatGPT Prompts for SEO
If you happen to know someone who could use StoryChief, refer your friends and we’ll give you a $50 bonus per lead + 15% revenue share!